Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:20 am

FreeHand support

Lion+Emulators+Win+Freehand = some tests

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Lion+Emulators+Win+Freehand = some tests

Postby dispari » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello, I'm here to share my experience with you about a way to use Freehand on Lion via PC emulators (on my Quad core Mac Pro • 10GB ram).

Some notes
• I'm using Freehand since V3 so I consider myself a "power user" and I rely totally on extensive use of Mouse/keys combo for fast workflow.
• I've chosen a PC version of Freehand simply because with the same Emulator I can play some Win-only games I bought on Steam (I look at you Street Fighter!)

Crossover
• It functional
• UI rendering is crappy
• response is slow
• paste inside contents are displaied outside the bounding shapes.
No way.

Parallels 8
• Running on Windows 7 (Freehand PC version).
• Fast response.
• UI ok
• Some problems with shortcut key mappings.
• Huge problems with mouse/control/command/shift combos (ineffective)
No way.

WMWare Fusion 5
• Running on Windows 7 (Freehand PC version).
• Fast response
• UI ok
• No problems with shortcut key mappings and mouse/control/command/shift combos, but you have to re-adjust using Control instead of Command key.
Nearly ok.

Today I'll start to test properly this last configuration with a very complex illustration.

PDF/Truetype/Opentype issues still to check (but Freehand was always troublesome with those).
dispari

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Lion+Emulators+Win+Freehand = some tests

Postby FH Addict » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:37 am

A bit late but thanks for your test. On your day to day work are you using WMWare Fusion 5?
Are you opening Freehand mx files made on Mac on PC (Fusion) easily?
Thanks
FH Addict

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby machenry » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:37 am

:D :D :D :D I've been following the posts for years. Using Freehand over 20 years in printing business, I now can stay with it for another ten years.
Solution:
Just purchased a 2009 Macbook Pro, 253 GHZ, Installed a 1TB HD, part ion into 3, each with different boot systems. This model holds 8 GB Ram, and boots on 10.5.x and above! WYSIWYG Font Menus are back for typesetting needs.
I use 10.8 for surfing online, 10.5 for freehand 10 and all it's glory with AppleTalk and applications that are already paid for. No month fees!http://www.freehandforum.org/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&sid=7afdbce48c4409e6f612973c4eed45b9&t=847#http://www.freehandforum.org/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&sid=7afdbce48c4409e6f612973c4eed45b9&t=847#
machenry

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Yeah, I am following similar plans, already in 2011 I thought about probably stay with 10.6, purchased a Mac Mini and put an SSD and 8GB Ram in it for it to last for the years to come. It still does the job only sometimes I had demand for some more speed. So, I decided to try building a Hackintosh with the most speedy CPU OS 10.6.8 still works with. I am using it for two weeks now and I will shortly make a detailed report about my experience so far.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum