[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Freehand on Windows 8
Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 am

FreeHand support

Freehand on Windows 8

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Freehand on Windows 8

Postby Rog23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Does anybody know if I can open old Freehand files, i.e. Freehand 8 and MX on my new PC that runs on Windows 8. I havnt yet tried to install it
Rog23

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Freehand on Windows 8

Postby soneil » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Don't know how far you got with this, Raj, but I'll post a solution for users running 64-bit Windows 8 (this would work on 32-bit Windows 8 as well though I'll address another solution at the bottom of the post). I have not tested the complete functionality of FreeHand 8 extensively in this environment but this will get it installed. Also, I'm looking for the FreeHand 8.01b Updater for English so if anyone has it and can attach it to a reply or arrange to e-mail it/send to me, I will be following this thread and would really appreciate it.

The problem installing FH8 in 64-bit Windows 8 is that this version of the OS no longer has support for 16-bit applications. FH8 is a 32-bit application however, around the time of its release in 1998, it was still acceptable to package the setup with a 16-bit setup launcher, in this instance InstallShield's PackageForTheWeb (v. 2.1.5.0). When you try to install FH8 in 64-bit Windows 8, it's not the application that is failing, it's the 16-bit stub. Others might eliminate some of these steps but this is what I did.

Try this:

1. Even though it will fail, you're going to run the installer anyway to extract the files. If you extract them with an archive program like WinRAR, you will only get 11 files; running the installer will get you 12.

Copy your FH8 installer to your hard drive and set Compatibility options for Windows XP SP3; right-click, choose Properties, click on Compatibility tab, tick Compatibility Mode, select Windows XP SP3, Apply, OK.

Double-click on the installer. Within a few seconds you will get an error message that contains a file path to the extracted files, "X:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Temp\pft74B5~tmp." It may vary from computer to computer but the error message will give you the exact path and destination folder name. Leave the installer error message open so you can open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder, select the files and copy them to a new folder. Once you close the error message, the files are deleted so do this first. Also, if you can't see the AppData folder, click on the View tab and tick Hidden Items; this will reveal the folder. Your new folder now contains the full contents of the FH8 installer. You can close the error message (there will be 2 more) and continue.

2. Go to the new folder and locate the file named "setup.exe" (45kb). This is the 16-bit setup launcher stub. Rename it to avoid using it (mine is "setup_DO_NOT_USE.exe).

3. As this is an InstallShield install package, we can use the 32-bit InstallShield setup launcher stub to execute the installation. This file is available in .zip format here: . Download it, scan it for viruses (it's fine but it's your computer) and extract it to your new folder. The new folder will now contain a file called "setup32.exe."

4. Double-click "setup32.exe" to install FreeHand 8 on 64-bit Windows 8. Though the installation includes the naming of the Start Menu folder, you will not find a Start Menu or App Menu folder or icon for Macromedia FreeHand 8. Follow the next step.

5. Go to "X:\Windows\Program Files (x86)\Macromedia\FreeHand 8" and locate the familiar FreeHand 8.exe (241 kb) file. Right-click on it, click on the Compatibility tab, tick Compatibility Mode and select Windows XP SP3. As I said, I haven't tested the complete functionality of the application on Windows 8 so at this point, while you're in this folder, you might do well to select Compatibility Mode settings for Windows XP SP3 for all of the .exe files in the folder. I found five: the aforementioned FreeHand 8.exe, FreeHand Clipart Viewer.exe. FreeHpop.exe, ps2Mac.exe and, erm, Flash 3 Player.exe (just click on the Type column to arrange all of the files by file type to find them). You will also need to create your own shortcut on the Desktop; right-click on FreeHand 8.exe again and select Send To-->Desktop (create shortcut).

*The installer I used - the only one I could locate - was a trial version installer. When you launch FreeHand 8, just click Try. It looks like I'll have to wait 30 days to use my serial number at which point, if I recall, the Macromedia Try & Buy wizard will offer a Buy button and then I can use my serial number.

*You can save the folder you created with the 32-bit installer to disk for easy re-installation and future use.

FOR 32-BIT WINDOWS 8 EDITION:

This edition has a 16-bit emulator so you shouldn't have any problems installing FreeHand 8. Apparently, Windows 8 will ask you if you want to enable the 16-bit emulator when such an application is launched. As you only need it for the installer and not the programme, you may want to go into the Control Panel applet and disable it once you're installation is completed. I would assume you would still need to create your Desktop shortcut and set compatibility options as stated above, including on the FreeHand 8 installer itself before using it.

If you do have problems, you can always use the workaround detailed above.

Hope that helps users get a little more mileage out of FreeHand 8 on newer, more powerful hardware in Windows, at least. FreeHand 8 on Windows 8 (32 or 64-bit) with Illustrator CS5/5.5 would extend your workflow for a while, I'll bet. All the best and if anyone has the FreeHand 8.01b Updater for Windows in English and can attach/e-mail/send it to me, that would be great.

S.O.
soneil

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby hofnaar » Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 am

All I can say is: FH10 works fine under 64bit systems. I run it since few years on my windows 7 on notebook and office computer as well =)
hofnaar

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby bakaichi » Thu May 09, 2013 2:01 am

It works on my W8 64bit system

But i do experience a little bit of slow down and tiny glitches form time to time
bakaichi

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby RoseTenenbaum1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 pm

I am getting a new computer. dont know if will be windows 8. but i have had freehand 8.0.1 for years and am worried i wont be able to install it on my new computer. I think i am getting a refurbished short tower with windows. I dont know if i can do the big installation process that sonnel describes. I am worried.
RoseTenenbaum1

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum