Change font size
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:36 pm

FreeHand support

FreeHand PDF as PDFX/3 compliant problem

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

FreeHand PDF as PDFX/3 compliant problem

Postby Handsfree » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Is there anyway that I can make FreeHand PDF's export as PDFx/3 compliant? The only option seems to be is to export each page as 'ai' illustrator and 'open' and 're-save' that as a new PDF (using PDF x/a as the export option). If only I had a' FreeHand 'Xtra' to do the same thing. It's the last hurdle on pre-press to do a full check of PDF/X-3 file and when I have hundreds all in one document it's no joke! Has anyone found a way around this in FreeHand itself ? or do we have to use Illustrator as the only workaround...
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand PDF as PDFX/3 compliant problem

Postby Bertrude » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:58 pm

This doesn't answer your question (my apologies), but what about "printing" a postscript file and running through Acrobat Distiller using a PDF/X-3 setting (if you have it)? I don't suppose it's any quicker than your Illustrator workaround, but if you set up a watched folder then Distiller should automatically process any file saved to it. It might save you some time leaving Freehand.
Bertrude

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand PDF as PDFX/3 compliant problem

Postby Handsfree » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks Bertrude. But I found a work another around that seems to work. Even when distilled and exported again as PDF which then complies with strict PDF specs.
I found that the FreeHand fancy drop shadows and the non standard colours are problem areas even if they are not used in the drawing they are 'exported' as dual RGB and CMYK into FreeHand PDF. Plus the 'drop shadow' are exported at 72 dpi which is then flagged as a 'low resolution image' and rejected. Even not having Illustrator type page size/clipping borders flag an error. So what's to be done?

Well I could open and re-save all or I could open in Apple ColorSync apply a PDF/X-3 filter and re-save as version 2 which then keeps all multi-pages and color intent and passes for PDF/X-3 check list. I then use that PDF to make into book pages (illustration) which can then be imported into a DTP program such as Indesign or Quark which are 100% PDF/X-3 positive. Case solved!

I hope this helps those in similar need. This also works when exported as a ps dump for Adobe distiller using the PDF/X-3 specs that (say) BLURB books use to check file integrity. I am sure there may be an easier way but this works for me.
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum