[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - FreeHand MX is still alive (sorta)
Change font size
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:02 pm

FreeHand support

FreeHand MX is still alive (sorta)

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

FreeHand MX is still alive (sorta)

Postby art101 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:41 am

If this is covered elsewhere, please excuse the duplication. Hope this is useful for the FreeHand faithful.

FH MX ran fine for me on Mac OSX 10.5.8. I recently had to upgrade an older Mac Mini (2007, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM) from Mac OSX 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 (with Rosetta running). On launch, the FH MX 11.0.2 dock icon bounced for a while, then stopped; FH didn't launch.

I found a file at http://helpx.adobe.com/freehand/kb/cant ... x-mac.html

I downloaded and put the file in the Library location specified. SUCCESS! FH fired right up. I've tested several FH files; there are a few pesky bugs, but nothing fatal.

For example, the Grid no longer works, so "Snap to Grid" is useless. My quick fix: I drew my own grid file in FreeHand. When I need it, I paste it into a new layer and snap to it, since "Snap to Object" and "Snap to Point" are working fine. Obviously, I delete that layer before sending files for output.

Another example: FH no longer Quits with the keyboard command, only with the dropdown File menu. I can live with that.

QUESTION: Mac Software Update wants me to install the 10.6.8 update. I'm reluctant to do that (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Anyone here have an opinion or advice about that?

Decades of my best work is built with FreeHand. I hate how Adobe killed it for crazy corporate profit. See: http://www.art101.com/freehand/
"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."
art101

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand MX is still alive (sorta)

Postby FFH Mark » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Andy, good to hear you're using FreeHand. Same here. I visited the art101/FreeHand page about a week or two ago.

Everything you wrote is pretty much the standard procedure to get FHMX going on Snow Leopard. I have a fully functioning FHMX on a Mac drive and I upgraded to 10.6.8 with no problems. It's more reliable and solid in my setup and 10.6.8 is used with Parallels/Fusion/VirtualBox to have FHMX run in Mavericks and Yosemite.

There is a workaround for the Grid. You need to create a custom keyboard shortcut for the grid other than default cmd+opt+G. That seems to work although sometimes I have to redo it.

There is a lot of new action with third party developers coming onto the scene and using feedback from FreeHanders for their apps. While Gravit (ex: Stagestack) is moving along nicely as an open source app, it won't be ready for primetime until next year. It is has a slick interface and much potential as both a Fireworks and FH app. I'm using the beta now.

Affinity Designer is already released and it is pushing hard against Illustrator with FreeHand's features, tools, and selection method. Their latest video is Power Duplicating: http://t.co/v89tbZkZAF I'm using it in Mavericks and this could ultimately be what FreeHand might-have-been back in 2012.

—Mark
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby art101 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks much for the post, Mark … very cool stuff (especially the Grid tip). I'll explore your suggestions and post back with anything that might be useful.

BTW, I just discovered that if I 'upgrade' to OSX 10.6.8, it will kill GoLive CS 7.0.2 (a brilliant web authoring tool which Adobe also killed … apparently to force users to buy that Dreamweaver bloatware mess they sell to the gullible). Most of my client websites are built with GoLive, so … well … I'm stuck with 10.6.3 for the moment. It's OK … at least I can still use FHMX (and use it every day).

It's so sad. We all paid (and continue to pay) for a seat at the table. Adobe's cavalier attitude toward its customers is deeply troubling; a symptom of a much more serious illness in a world where corporations and profit run roughshod over people and ethics.

Oops. I'm ranting. Sorry. Thanks again for your post. Keep in touch and let me know if there's anything I can do to help save FreeHand: The best vector drawing program on planet Earth.

PS: Possible related link if you haven't seen it. FreeHand vs Illustrator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZgT3fnwOU (heh) ...
"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."
art101

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Andy, would GoLive 8 or 9 work for you? Moving to GoLive 8 would be your best bet for Snow Leopard and with Adobe's deactivation of GL8, you can download it here (includes Universal Serial #): https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/ ... oads.html# I know some folks who have GL9 running as high as Mavericks and I have a source for getting it if you want that instead.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum