Change font size
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:13 am

FreeHand support

Does Adobe recognize, when I use a "free" copy of Freehand?

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Does Adobe recognize, when I use a "free" copy of Freehand?

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:38 pm

(a post by user Illustrationator, from our previous Q&A forum)

Since two years I use Illustrator CS4, I know the program good enough and I produce nice results BUT I always come to the same conclusion: Illustrator has nice features, but for constructing vector-objects it is so circumstancial, I can't believe it! So FRUSTRATING!!!

I own a paid copy of Freehand 10, but I got a "free" copy of the "newer" Freehand MX, which I would prefer to use.
So my question: does Adobe recognize it? (for instance, when I'm connected for updates?)
(Yes, I know, it's not legal to use free copies, but if there would be released a new Version of Freehand (#12), I promise, I would not wait to buy it!)
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Does Adobe recognize, when I use a "free" copy of Freeha

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:39 pm

(answer by Krollian)

I use right now FreeHand 8, 9 and 11. We do not use illustrator CS4 more than 5% of the time. Thousands and thousands of illutrators, logo creators, infographers have just an illusion and are ready to pay for it:

FreeHand 12.

Up to date with full PDF support and typographic and poligonal effects applied á la Photoshop with embossed and reliefs, drop shadows...

Here, in Spain today FreeHand is strong across all kind of uses in graphic arts. Aldus localized to spanish before than Illustrator, among other advantages. Really FreeHand skills are very valued.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:40 pm

(answer by Illustrationator)

Hi Krollian,

yes, I think it's true, Freehand 12 would be the answer! :-)

For the last two years I constrained myself to use just Illustrator, because I thought I must be open minded and Illustrator is the future (so Adobe sais... ;-)). I thought when I still use FH I won't be able to learn Illustrator good enough. But now, I know both programs good enough.
Yes, there are some realy cool features in Illustrator, but for pure constructing and "day-to-day"-Business, Freehand allows you to work better and much quicker than Illustrator.

I can't understand why Adobe does not implement the Tool-behavoir and the beloved features of Freehand into Illustrator. They have the code, they have now the patent: I can't understand it! It really drives me mad and sad!! ;-)

But perhaps Mr. Jobs sais the truth, when he sais Adobe is lazy. ;-)
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:41 pm

(answer by FFH Mark)

I don't think updates would record you using a "free" copy of FreeHand. In fact, I doubt Adobe would do anything to stop you even if they knew it was illegal because they want FreeHand users to buy Illustrator. They are playing a waiting game where FreeHand finally is obsolete and will no longer function well; then you MUST buy Illustrator. To them, FreeHand is only an appetizer to the big meal of Illustrator.

Also, if Adobe enforces legal action against pirated copies of FreeHand, this will raise public and customer outrage that Adobe is deliberately not supporting FreeHand development yet punishing users of its broken software. They definitely do not want that! Adobe management was caught in a horrible public relations storm with it's Apple/Flash controversy. Adding similar controversy to their treatment of FreeHand is something they would want to avoid.

My guess is these pirated copies of FreeHand are very... very... low on Adobe's radar, on purpose.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:41 pm

(answer by Illustrationator)

Hi Mark,

thank you. I thought about it and came to the conclusion: first, I will try my legal copy of Freehand 10. For me the most important reason for using Freehand is the easy and intuitive way to construct complex vectorshapes. FH10 differs not from Freehand MX in this point, but MX was running more stable.
So I will try to have a "hybrid" workflow: when the objects are constructed, I will import them into Illustrator for coloring and all that stuff.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:42 pm

(answer by FFH Bez)

I agree with Mark. Adobe doesn't want to do anything that might raise public awareness around this issue, namely that they have been obliquely pressuring FreeHand users into sheepishly adopting Illustrator and leaving FreeHand behind--with dubious legal implications, I might add. They have made their bed and the chickens are coming home to roost, to combine two age old maxims. This question reminds me, we had an idea for Free FreeHand early on that was just as it sounds: promote the distribution of Free copies of FreeHand in order to invite Adobe's wrath and, therefore, bring public attention to the issue. I don't know if it would have been of any benefit if we had done it, but we didn't. And anyway, FreeHand is free now if you just know how to get the trial download installer and then perform the official Snow Leopard fix. I've done this on a couple of computers now, but since I do own a licensed copy of MX I doubt it could be prosecuted--I only did it for convenience sake, so I didn't have to go dig up my reg number.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum