Change font size
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:41 am

FreeHand support

Rosetta Clone?

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Rosetta Clone?

Postby p_allan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Has anyone considered making a clone for Rosetta to be used on OS after Snow Leopard? I know absolutely nothing about programing. From my state of ignorance it appears that would be easier than making a whole new substitute for Freehand. :?:
p_allan

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Rosetta Clone?

Postby FFH Thü » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:26 pm

We have not heard yet of any such attempt. You may be right that it is more easy to do, and probably would even have a larger market. Nevertheless it seems no one is interested to make this his business. After all, it would still be years of work. Or purchasing licenses for code from Apple and IBM, which would solve only a part of the problem and certainly be expensive.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:34 pm

The company that developed Rosetta for Apple was the UK firm, Transitive, and they were acquired by IBM to build their PowerVM server software, mainly for its Linux users. So, only if IBM can be persuaded to lend Rosetta technology to an independent developer— which seems a slim chance.

However, I looked up the Transitive founder, Alasdair Rawsthorne, who heads up the Tech department at Universtity of Manchester. A great interview here that he talks of Rosetta, Apple's appreciation, and much more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vmi7jE13A

Any UK FreeHanders who want to reach out to him seems he might he be interested in new projects. Bringing FreeHand (and other older applications) the ability to run on Mavericks could be a University project. That was how Rosetta began and it is an interesting thought. He certainly welcomes hearing from people, according to the YouTube interview.

— Mark

Here is more on the acquisition of Transitive:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Virtualization ... r-Systems/
FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby p_allan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Thank you, FFH Thu and FFH Mark, for answering my post. It appears there are no easy answers to our problem. However, I am not ready to give up on FH yet so I will keep looking.

I think that someone said that Adobe is at least willing to incorporate some of the FH features into Illustrator, and that should help some people. For me that may still be too expensive and not quite do the whole job.
p_allan

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 pm

p_allan wrote:I think that someone said that Adobe is at least willing to incorporate some of the FH features into Illustrator, and that should help some people. For me that may still be too expensive and not quite do the whole job.

Thanks for asking the question. Finding the origin of Rosetta was new for me and adds a nice twist to what is possible, if not practical.

As to FreeHand features added to Illustrator CC, that will be coming out soon. As part of the AI beta team, I've seen the progress at Adobe and they are making some significant changes to help FreeHand users. Some fundamental functions in FHMX are there and I believe this upgrade will be released in February.

The whole CS subscription method is what is debatable.
FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Amazing what you were able to find out, Mark. I always thought Rosetta was Apples idea. Then I only found a reference to IBM behind it.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Klaus Mengler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 am

Anyone of the FFH team could contact Alasdair Rawsthorne!? Isn´t it a minimum chance for Freehand? I would be happy, if you will try it. Maybe he will be able to estimate chance, energy and time.

Klaus from Germany
Klaus Mengler

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby koehler » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:22 am

Klaus Mengler wrote:Anyone of the FFH team could contact Alasdair Rawsthorne!? Isn´t it a minimum chance for Freehand? I would be happy, if you will try it. Maybe he will be able to estimate chance, energy and time.

Klaus from Germany

Any News here?
Or is this not practical?
koehler

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum