[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Path with sequential symbols
Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:07 am

FreeHand support

Path with sequential symbols

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Path with sequential symbols

Postby alinedgif » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Hello.

I would like to be able to draw an organic path (or paint a path) with a sequence of eight repeating symbols along its length. Unrotated and unscaled.

I need to be able to alter the symbols in the library after a drawing with many paths is finished, so that they then also change on the path

The reason I want to edit the source is to create two versions of the drawing with different parts of the component symbols visible but along exactly the same paths.

I have been trying to find a way to do this on and off for many years on many programs. Alternative suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I use Freehand 11.0.2 on an old Power book G4 12" running 10.6.8 and love it.

Thanks for reading my post.
alinedgif

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Path with sequential symbols

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:25 pm

As a quick guess, I think you need to Replace the Symbol after you have made your first drawing using the initial Symbol. But you will have to release the first drawing so it won't change when you update to new symbols.

I'd do it like this: Create the artwork for the new symbol > Drag it onto the name of the original symbol in the Library so the alert comes up > choose Replace and they will all change. (If you choose Convert, the old symbols are saved but converted to graphics... which may be an alternative to releasing your first drawing.)
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Bertrude » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 pm

With each graphic already prepared as a symbol in the library you could paste them into a text block and then attach that 'text' to a path. Once you have your initial 8 in, you can use the text selection tool and copy/paste as many symbol repeats as necessary to fill the length of the path.

If you change the orientation of the 'text to path' object properties to 'vertical' then the symbols will not rotate as the path bends.

The symbols can then be updated/changed by editing them via the library.

I've attached a screen shot of a basic example of what I'm referring to, but I only used 4 symbols here. Apologies if I've misunderstood anything.
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-11-12 at 14.55.19.png
Screen shot 2013-11-12 at 14.55.19.png (92.05 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
Bertrude

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby alinedgif » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:29 am

Mark: good point. That will help with updating the symbols once I have them in place.

Bertrude: I think what you suggest is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I'm going to try it this week. Good lateral thinking! I'll let you know.

Thank you both.
alinedgif

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum