Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:48 am

FreeHand support

Accessing FH3 files

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Accessing FH3 files

Postby WJEyerman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 am

We have several FH3 drawings that we need to open.
Currently using FH10 in Windows 7, we don't have any earlier versions available on our system.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
WJEyerman

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Accessing FH3 files

Postby Handsfree » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

I guess you have discovered a way around this by now. But if not there was a time that Aldus FreeHand 3 was the premier drawing package (and not newboy Adobe Illustrator). At those earlier version of Illustrator 3 you could read eps files and (I think) Freehand files. For FreeHand 3 there was a plug-in to read Illustrator (88 to 3) files (which I did buy for that very reason at the time). Even then FreeHand was just (all round) better and a lot faster than stodgy Illustrator. So in answer to your question yes it can be done easily and the answer is to track down an old copy of FreeHand 5 (and open the files from there). Illustrator soon dropped opening Freehand files but you can still read eps and pdf usually (either way around), even today. You may also find an old Fontographer software which could natively read and write FreeHand files and export as illustrator 88 (.ai) files which should work on Freehand 3. Also Macromedia Fireworks (any version) should able to open FreeHand 3 and export eps (which could then be opened in Illustrator). Hope this helps your quest. For the odd one or two files I am sure one of our FreeHand Forum members will oblige!
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum